Library Services Policies
Revised May 2019
Home Delivery Services
Homebound services are provided for individuals in the county who are prevented from using a branch library. A staff member or a trained volunteer will provide library service to homebound individuals who qualify by meeting one or more eligibility criteria.
Services will be provided to qualifying individuals on a first come, first served basis and will continue as long as criteria are met and service is desired.
Services to the homebound will be approximately twice per month. Loan periods are extended to accommodate the needs of the homebound patron. There is no charge for overdue or lost materials.
Criteria for Eligibility
- Boyd County residents only
- Individuals who are mentally or physically disabled and unable to access a branch library
- Individuals who are unable to transport materials from a branch library due to physical limitations
- Residents of nursing homes or other extended care facilities
- Request for service must be made in writing
- Applications are available from the Outreach Specialist or Public Services Manager
- Request must be accompanied by a note from a physician or other health care provider attesting to applicant’s inability to visit due to physical limitations
Service is reviewed annually or as needed. The Library reserves the right to deny service or cancel delivery at any time.
Group Presentations and Services
Storytelling and child appropriate visits by library staff are available upon request.
Book talks, speaking arrangements, informational addresses, etc. by library staff are available upon request.
Interlibrary loan is a free service offered to Library patrons. It is used as a means of providing material not available in the library’s collection where purchase of such material is not possible or is not deemed appropriate.
The circulation period of interlibrary loan material is determined by the lending library. Other terms or conditions may be imposed by the lending library.
Renewals are restricted by the lending library. Requests for renewals will be honored in cooperation with the lending library if possible. Renewal requests are referred to the Interlibrary Loan staff. Should a patron request an Interlibrary Loan renewal at a time when the Interlibrary Loan Specialist is unavailable, Public Services staff may grant a one-time one-week renewal.
- Interlibrary loan is only available to users with a current, valid BCPL borrower’s card.
- Borrowers may have up to ten requests submitted at any one time.
- Photocopies of articles must be accompanied by the source, title, volume number, issue number and date of the article. Patrons are responsible for any photocopying charges that are applied by the lending library.
- Requests for genealogical materials should be accompanied by a specific title for the material requested.
- Requests for bestseller materials or materials that are within one year of the publication date are recommended for purchase for the library.
- The Library will not attempt to borrow video games, any items that are in high-demand by patrons, or items that are within one year of the publication date from other libraries. Requests for such materials are recommended for purchase.
- Other limits
- Some materials may be restricted by the lending library
- Some requests may incur a charge by the lending library that the Library will pass on to the patrons
In such cases, the patron will be notified by the Interlibrary Loan Specialist before the request is placed.
Check out and overdue material
- Interlibrary loan materials are checked out on the patron’s library card.
- Patrons are responsible for any charges that may apply.
- Patrons are responsible for loss, damage, and associated costs or fees while the materials are in their possession.
- The Library reserves the right to suspend interlibrary loan privileges for any reason. Privileges will be suspended under the following conditions:
- Overdue interlibrary loan materials
- Habitual return of interlibrary loan materials late
- Interlibrary loan materials repeatedly not picked up
- Library accounts that have been restricted
Interlibrary Loan Services to Other Libraries
Interlibrary loan services are provided to other libraries that are part of the loaning network. Items check out for four weeks in most cases.
The following guidelines apply to loans to other institutions and libraries:
- Circulating materials and selected reference materials are available for lending to other institutions and libraries
- The Library does not loan video games, any items that are in high-demand by patrons, or items that are within one year of the publication date
- Reference materials will be loaned only if regular service will not be disrupted
- Items loaned to other institutions and libraries will be checked out to the Interlibrary Loan Department
- There are no charges or fees for lending materials
- Requesting library is responsible for lost or damaged items
- BCPL will utilize statewide courier, if available. Otherwise, there are no charges for postage
- The Library will contact the borrowing library when materials become overdue. Other libraries may be prohibited from borrowing where a poor borrowing history becomes evident
Additional Services to Other Organizations
Additional services to other libraries or organizations are available, provided staff and budget allows. Special services must be approved by the Library Director.